View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Does anyone know why there are 2 versions of the pennant below. They are identical except for the "1963" in the baseball. I can't believe they made 2 different versions like this (for the 2 different stadiums?), without any other differences. Both are always sold as originals, but is one a reprint?
thanks,
Rick
Attachment 300062

Attachment 300063
Hello all, I just joined Net54 a few weeks ago seeking more information about vintage pennants. It's been a pleasure reading through 144 pages of informative postings dating back to 2014. I thought I knew everything ... but you all enlightened me on some pretty important findings. So, thank you.

Years ago I made the same observation RLevy just did regarding these two 1963 WS pennants. I own the "1 96 3" variation, and I am confident it's genuine. (It passed the smell test.) That said, for a 50+ year old pennant, I am always amazed at how this pennant is seemingly always being sold in mint or near mint condition.

Then I noticed the second variation's existence. It too is always in remarkable condition.

Naturally, I wondered if one or both were reproductions; but, found nothing that proved this for either variant.

Then I saw Duluth Eskimo's 2014 posting wherein he commented on a "warehouse find" in Los Angeles and then implied that a certain 1963 World Series pennant may have come out of a similar discovery.

Can anyone speak to either pennant's authenticity? Or, as to why such a minor variation might have been made for an event-specific pennant that seemingly wouldn't be sold anytime other than during/at the World Series?