View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Who Knows About This Item

Posted By: Roland

I remember, as a boy, when you drove to Atlantic White Flash (I think they were called that ) gas station they would give a small booklet that contained 5 tissue sheets that had a baseball diamond on it. Then you would touch a lighted cigarette to it at the pitchers mound. Then a path would burn from the pitchers mound to home plate, then to first base, maybe to second base, maybe to third base, and if you were really lucky to home plate. Some stations would give a free gallon of gas if you got a home run. So, remembering this, and being a Phila A's collector, I decided to see if my memory was correct. Listening to A's games on the radio, they used to do commercials telling you to go to Atlantic stations for them. This was around 1940. After years of getting nowhere I called the Atlantic Refining Co. No one had any idea what I was talking about but one person said to wait a minute, there was a man there who had been there forever. He did remember them and said it was a promotional gimmick that was done one time for spring either 1940 or 1941. Also there was nothing left or any info available. Many years later
I was at the Atlantic City Antigue show and lo and behold while looking through a book of various items, there was two complete booklets I got them. I decided to see if they were still good. A frend ( smoker ) lit up and we touched the tissue, but nothing. I guess the chemical used to make a path had long dissipated. I still have the other booklet.
I would appeciate any info anyone may have. I think this item is a rare piece of
Phila A's memorabilia. ???????
Roland