View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice story. My guess is a lot of us have done something similar but most don't turn out quite that well. Congrats!! You had great Karma going.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomaz View Post
Well not a recent pickup but I've only been lurking here for a couple weeks so figured I'd show off one of my best pickups in my 37 years of collecting.

Bought it in September 2007 on eBay quite impulsively. I was just starting to expand out from hockey (as I had recently achieved my goal of having the rookie card of every 1000 point man in NHL history) and into the other three major sports and after winning the auction I had some big time buyers remorse as it appeared I had overpayed by around 25%.

Here was the situation...I did no research prior to bidding, I placed said bid in the last few seconds of the auction, and only discovered the auction in its last few minutes. Point being I had no idea what I was doing, five minutes before buying the card I had no plans to buy one so soon, all I knew was that it was a really nice Mantle rookie card and if I was going to pursue baseball HOF rc's, may as well start with one of the best.

So what ended up being a very impulsive purchase that I overpaid for at the time has turned out to be one of the best buys of my hobby career, almost nine years later.

So here it be in all its glory:

Last edited by Leon; 06-27-2016 at 06:09 AM.