View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Gary, that’s all the same company. They had a unique way of sewing together spines from two different … spools … or whatever you call it. Like if they come to the end of one they just start another mid pennant without breaking the stitch. Here’s a Phillies from the same company.

Now that you mentioned it … could these all be early Ad Flags? I strongly doubt it. They do share the same stitching style, sans tassels. But these are a tiny bit smaller (26-27”) and generally better quality than Ad Flag whose artists seemed plucked out of middle school art class and are often cut weird. The very old Ad Flags though were not as bad. I think the maroon Braves pictured below is an Ad Flag, in comparison to the blue one which seems to be from the Sliding Runner Co.

Kyle (Domer) might have a better feel for this.
It wasn't ADFLAG. Your "mystery maker" was, most probably, a company we've never once discussed (I think) on this thread. Which baffles my mind; because this maker made a lot of baseball and football pennants in the 1940s and 50s. So many, I was certain it was a maker we've studied extensively. Not so....

We were, however, correct about this mystery maker's location. We speculated that, based upon the volume of New York team pennants associated with their designs, they were based in New York City. This, it seems, we got right.

Your mystery maker behind such legendary pennant series as "the sliding runner" and "the Heisman" is, I believe, the Epstein Novelty Co., 130 Park Row, N.Y.C.

I'm gonna let that sink in for now ... then come back later with proof.

Stay tuned.