View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default need help dating a photo

Posted By: Glenn

I picked up this old UPI wire photo on ebay. Looks like Jimmie Foxx and Mickey Cochrane, but the press notes have been removed from the back, so I can't tell the specific game/date of the photo, and I figured somebody here might be able to help.

Some clues:

Foxx is in a SOX uniform, but Cochrane's still playing, so that limits it to 1936 or 1937. That should help a lot because Cochrane didn't play all that much in those two seasons, but I don't know specifically how many he played against Boston. Going by the home white/road gray rule, it appears this game was played in Detroit. (Also, the Tigers' dugout is along the 1st base line.) Cochrane seems to be wearing a "C". I presume this is for "Captain," but I also presume he was captain in both seasons, so that probably doesn't help. He also has a stars and stripes crest on his left sleeve (from an All-Star game perhaps?). As far as I can tell from the crowd, this was a pretty warm day in Detroit, so we can probably rule out April and September (but I don't have any actual weather reports, so this is just an educated guess). And the most obvious clue: Jimmie Foxx safely reached 3rd at least once that day, but was likely tagged out in a rundown between 3rd and home.

Thanks,
Glenn