Thread: Holy Grail(s)
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Ahhhh . . . those were the days

My brother and I often arrived a couple of hours (or more) before the show would open on Friday morning. If we were not first and second in line, we were usually among the first five.

Anyways, to kill time, we'd chat with the other collectors in line with us, and check out what they had to sell, or inquire what they were looking to buy. And then the gentleman next to me carefully opened his crumpled brown grocery bag and gently pulled out the Gerhig jersey. He allowed me to hold the jersey, and enjoy the moment. It was all kind of hush-hush, since he didn't want too much attention. But I'd have to imagine the word passed quickly down the waiting line of show attendees. The gentleman realized he had something valuable, and began to feel alittle vulnerable standing in the hotel hallway with his prized item. I would have felt quite uncomfortable too.

At prior shows, Mr. Mint or one of his "boys" would often come out a half hour or so before the show opened, and inquire what folks in line had to sell. After the gentleman next to me briefly opened his bag to let the Mint-man's rep take a peek (the jersey didn't come out of the bag), the rep hustled back into the closed showroom. Soon, out bursts the Mr. Mint himself, and my newfound "buddy" was hustled past the closed doors. Soon after, the deal was done.

I have no idea what Mr. Mint paid for that jersey, but it did appear thereafter in one (or two) of his SCD ads promoting the vast amounts of cash he recently spent, and the noteworthy collection/items he acquired. I'm just thrilled to say that "I was there".

Those were the days.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 10-14-2010 at 05:38 PM.