View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Hey Bill. I recently had the same dilemma. One of the reasons I got back into the hobby a few years ago was to try my hand at "prospecting". Same as you, I pay attention for dynasty fantasy leagues. I also love history and when I collected as a kid, I was always in awe at card shows when I'd see the pre-war pioneers and vintage cards of players my dad told stories about. So, I also decided to collect pre-war and vintage since I could somewhat afford those cards that I was awe-struck with growing up. Of course, that led me to this site and my interest dwindled in the modern stuff.

About six moths ago I sold most of my higher-end autos and refractors in one large lot. I do not regret it one bit! I re-invested most into my pre-war/vintage collection. Like you, I was right more often than not when prospecting. However, even when I was right, there are always cases like Matt Harvey and Jose Fernandez (and don't get me started on PED guys like your boy Braun) that would make me sick to my stomach.

My recommendation would be to sell. I decided to keep all my modern Pirates/Steelers and Topps All-Star rookie cards (the ones with the trophy icons since I collect those from the 60's and up). Maybe you could do something similar - sell everything but your Brewers and then to keep up with the new releases, purchase just Brewer cards from time to time.

Good luck with your decision.

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***