View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 02:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Yo View Post
I love all your Philadelphia A’s memorabilia! Is that an actual Connie Mack hat? My signatures I just used the stick on matting corners to a matt board with ironically Perez postcards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good way to go, and I have done the same on multiple occasions. When using the mounting corners, you can also hide them under the mat (if you don't need the entire piece to be visible, or want to mount out flaws like water stains and edge tears). Mounting corners are far better than simply taping the back of the piece to the matting.

No, the straw hat cannot be tied to Connie Mack, although it is the exact type that he wore. I had won the 1910 Athletics Hat Band in a Hunt Auction. I just couldn't find the right way to display it that would do it justice. Those Hat Bands are expensive in the rare event one surfaces, so I wanted to do it right.

I started searching for straw hats, and had to weed through a few hundred before finally finding that one. Junky kitsch souvenir hats and others in tattered condition were all I could find until this one popped up. The quality is off the charts, the all-silk inner lining is like new, it's in near-perfect condition, and the White Elephant Hat Band fits it to perfection. Sorry to ramble, but it was a big score at the time!

Ok, back to the topic of framing.... Mike, great minds think alike! I usually draw out a template for them to emulate as well. I guess I should have invested in a mat cutter like Mark, but never took the plunge. It probably would've paid for itself after 5 uses!