View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Default help re 1922 Eastern Exhibit possible variations

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I have noticed a potential variation in the 1922 Eastern Exhibit set. I have a Cobb missing the team and league designation, which appear in a second line of print at the card bottom. I had assumed when I bought it that the card was a miscut (it measures up with my other cards), but on closer review it appears that there is no spillover from the card above the Cobb onto the card (since these are full bleed photos, if there was an off centered cut that removed the line of writing, there would be a piece of the card above the Cobb visible at the top of the Cobb; there isn't).

I had not thought "variation" until this morning when I was thumbing through my old catalogues and found the same variation depicted in the April 2002 Lipset auction catalogue (lot 208 and lot 236, which shows a postcard that uses the 1922 photo in the format that is typical). I now realize that it appears that the photo from each card was cropped differently. The variation has the top of Cobb's head visible while the "standard" card cuts it off.

Does anyone else have any of the 1922 Eastern Exhibit cards with no team and league line?