View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Bruce Fairchild

The best:
Joe DiMaggio
He was on a tour of Air Force bases (something to do with promoting commissaries) and visited our little league. He signed two objects for all that wanted autographs. After that he was going to take a swing. His first swing was a ground ball and then his next was a hr over our 220' fence.
John Smoltz
My younger son, 14 at the time recognized John and his family eating at a Steak and Shake in Smyrna, Ga. We went to our car and my son ran back in to see John. John apologized to my son that the Braves had done so poorly that season and promised they would do better in 1990. He then signed a napkin for my son.

The worst:
When my oldest son was 15 my sister was able to get him into the Super Show in Atlanta. He returned home with about 20 posters signed by baseball, football and basketball stars. He told me that he saw Reggie Jackson in the hallway and when asked for an autograph and he refused, saying the he wasn't on the clock. Boo!