View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 11:46 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey all,

I'm on vacation for the week, but a friend pointed this thread out to me.

I won't have all of my resources available until I get back, but I can assure you that this Mantle image is NOT from '51. Fred was right in mentioning the patch detail. Also worthy of note is that the photo was taken at Ebbets Field. The only time the Yanks were there was for the exhibition right before the season started, and they certainly had the patches on their sleeves then.

My first gut reaction is that the shot is from the '52 World Series, taken during one of the games in Brooklyn. Though the Yanks also had patches on their sleeves that same year, it didn't extend to the postseason (or at least, the away jerseys).

When I get home, I'll dig up the photo evidence, and even try and match up the adverts on the wall to the same year. But in summation, definitely not '51!

Graig

PS: I am familiar with the photo that you guys posted, but I have never really studied it in depth. It's hard to tell from the scan on the board, but there's no evidence of a patch being airbrushed out, right?
Graig,

Since when do you get a vacation? I'm going to have to talk to Dean about this. First he lets you get married, and now this?! We will expect a full report when you get back, including what shade of red is appropriate to use for "Mickey Mantle's acne." (And don't act like you haven't already spent hours obsessing over that one. You're like the reverse of those school photographers who were always trying to get us to pay to have those blemishes removed from our photos.)

J/k. Much love to you and the Mrs., wherever you may be. I look forward to seeing what you dig up upon returning to home base.