View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default A different take on centering

Sorry for bumping an old thread. But I will 1) because it's still a relevant issue, and 2) - I think I've come to a new realization around my own tolerances for centering. Aside from a brief episode of "obsess about the grade over enjoying the card" in the early 2000's where I became hyper-focused on centering - I've never been much of a centering freak for most of my collecting career. I think I've come to realize that what I really don't like is "sliver borders" - which generally means cards worse than 80/20 up to miscut. But 75/25, or 70/30? At the end of the day, it's hard for me to have real problems with those - because back in the 1980's when old cards were generally only available at shops and shows - it was just so common that I didn't really think much about it. I owned and loved / cherished many such cards that at the time were 25, 30 years old when I was 11 or 12.

I suppose it does depend some on overall eye-appeal, and the individual card - i.e. it's hard to not wince at a card with 3 blown corners that is also egregiously O/C - but anymore a nice EX-MT card with 75/25 borders doesn't give me the pause it once did for whatever reason.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-01-2019 at 12:27 PM.