View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 04:52 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
I expect the trend to be toward prizing cards with more (overall) border ahead of perfect centering. For example, two cards same grade: Card 1 is perfectly centered with medium to narrow margins all around; and Card 2 is centered a little high and right. But Card 2 has two sides that have borders very similar to Card 1 and two borders that are bigger, hence the off center. Wouldn't you suspect Card 1 is perfectly centered because it was trimmed,
making Card 2 more attractive because it wasn't?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Interesting point. I think it will depend on the issue. For example 1967 Topps cards when perfectly centered (virtually impossible to find that also without tilt, but I digress..) are a good example of your Card 1. The white edges are a bit thinner than the garden variety vintage Topps set without a full-bleed border - compare them, say - to 1958 Topps. The borders on '58s are thicker. So with all the recent alteration / fraud hoopla - how are collectors to regard that rare, perfectly centered '67 card that might have PSA 8 or higher quality corners? I would agree with you there will likely be a lot more suspicion of trimming. In that regard - having never been a true centering freak to start with - I can live with some issues which in time to come might make a card seem more apt to be unaltered. I picked up a '67 Mantle #150 today that is sharp, but centered slightly toward the bottom and right. It's off maybe somewhere between 70/30 and 75/25 side to side. I'm over it. Time was a card like that would have bothered me, but anymore it just doesn't. Overall it's still a pretty solid EX-MT.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-21-2019 at 04:54 PM.