View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Default Willie Mays at Philly

Posted By: Steve F

It's a sad thread for the genuine fans from that era and todays' kids.

Not defending Willie and the boys but to add another angle. I own no Mays items, though I'd be happy with a genuine old photo of 'the catch' and take a pass on the forced sig., free or otherwise. I'd guess, get these icons away from the ink mills and the walls come down. Who wouldn't be bitter as well dealing with these these older creeps, hounding for autographs or forcing their kids to do their bidding. We see it at shows and these players know the game of the tinman quite well. It HAS to jade a person.

WARNING, Man-crush spew ahead!; I believe hockey players in general were most accomodating to the fans. There was always a charity event in Boston and you could count on the B's being there. Bobby Orr always made himself available, did it with that great humble smile and for nada. Shy on the ice maybe, but very warm and personable around the fans. He'd coax other players to sign as well. He'd then ask, "Any more? Did everybody get one?". We did. He'd then wave at the awestruck, satisfied mob of rink-rats and walk away always smiling.

Yaz and Bird, not as warm... Certainly not as memorable.

I don't suppose Orr's sig will ever being valuable (cash-wise) in this lifetime. Has to be just too damn many of 'em! Thankfully happy.gif

Was it really forty freakin years ago!?
[linked image]