View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Daniel E.

Thanks for the thought Adam. I've got the Afro-American History-Mystery issue covered, added the one from Israel too after you posted it in your website-connected image library--but have that asterisked for now (along with certain others in the master checklist so designated) where its only weakness in being included appears to be some lack of supportive documentation that it absolutely is a "card" rather than possibly being a "paper" collectible. How and in what manner it was originally issued, or by whom and through what venue, are lacking at this time it seems. I don't go by what size or stock something happens to be; globally cards are and have been produced that are judged by the methods and standards of the country in which they originate, not in any way necessarily related to our own country's geocentric standards of what something has to be like in order to be considered a true "card." When you are in Rome, you do as the Romans do; when you wish to explore what boxing 'card issues' had been produced in a different country or global region, you ought to take the time to first research and understand that country's own accepted standards for what they consider to be a 'card' leaving your own American hobby definitions and center-of-the-world prejudices behind. If a Roman normally considers something a card and others part of the Roman culture have always done so too, then its a Roman Card and we should accept it as being so. If Swedish nationals themselves had an established past history of freeing a Hemmets #23 Clay from its 4-in-1 sheet and collecting it as a single (just as they were accustomed to doing in many other unrelated but similar cases going back to the 1940s & '50s), then the Swedish #23 Clay as a single is a legitimate Swedish single-card, too, regardless of the arguments to the contrary by various American collectors. So, I'm not ruling out the Israel paper issue of Clay as not being a card either. It'd be nice to at least encounter some other example of another personality matching the Clay, better yet to know how it was issued and whether or not persons IN Israel themselves actually considered it a "card" or a "paper collectible." Wish we had more to go on.

We here, too, have had a couple of Ali card issues that go completely against the grain of what stock, type of printing, and manner of distribution is usually expected according to some of those argumentative 'standards':

There's one from the inside back-cover of the old "Fight Fever" US boxing magazine. It was absolutely meant to be cut out and collected as a card and said as much. Another came from the outside back-cover of an older issue of "CrawDaddy" US magazine. That magazine also directed that the Ali card should be cut out and saved as a "wallet-photo card." So there you go...

Just pulled the Ali card cuts mentioned above out, and I spoke on one without checking it first. It wasn't a 'Fight Fever' boxing magazine that had it; it was a 'Fight Beat' issue. I'm going to post its scan along with the CraDaddy card cut and some others...

Last edited by Box-Cards; 05-09-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: ERROR IN FACTS CORRECTED