Thread: March Pickups
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Congratulations, Drew, on finishing your set. And doing so with a '52 Bowman Mantle is going out in real style!

Some real beauties here, guys. I'm enjoying looking at these. Lots of Aarons and Mantles.

Nothing big for me, as I am still in saving mode (well, I dropped about $400 on Blu Ray movies, because I wanted to boost my collection. So I'm not saving everything. [emoji14] I should be buying cards again soon).

I did pick up my first 1952 Topps though, a Vern Stephens. And it's a real beauty to me. I think it's my favorite card right now, one because it's a 1952 Topps, and the history of the set is not lost on me. Two, I've been reading quite a lot about Mr. Stephens as of late, so adding this card was a no brainer.

The centering is absolutely magnificent.

The next card I buy will be from a gentleman I plan on writing about here very soon. Somebody I feel is vastly underappreciated by baseball historians. Within the next week or so, I'll be putting up a discussion about him. But for now, I am going to just enjoy looking at my first '52. I'm transported back to that picture of Woolworth's & Co, with the table setup with the boxes of 1952 Topps.

Clicky goodness

I can't help but wonder if Vern didn't come from one of those boxes.
To really appreciate Stephens, take a look at the Top 5 Single Seasons for HRs by a shortstop, pre-Ernie Banks. Pretty cool!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/