View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

I think one thing that inhibits new participation (and old) is the difference in budgets. I am a player collector on a very limited budget. I have never, and will never, won any auction other than Ebay. I couldn't afford the "crap" many big time collectors would pass over in a REA or Mastro catalogue. It can be intimidating reading a "what did you win from this auction" thread when you can't afford to have the catalogue shipped.

I was lucky enough to pick up many items for my collection years ago but I certainly couldn't afford some of the items in my collection now. Please let me be clear, I don't begrudge anyone anything they have and this isn't a class issue for me but there are regulars on this board that spend well into the 6 figures or more every year. Nobody wants to read a post about my beat up P2 Wolter when there are Cobbs and Mathewsons to be seen.

That being said, I have followed and enjoyed this community since the FullCount days and I will ask and add to any conversation that I feel I can, but I think "lurkers" are just waiting in many cases to contribute when they think they can or when something up their alley comes along.