View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Found this photo dating to October 5-7th 1952 from the World Series
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...entoryid=38183

Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind me invading your thread for a moment. Don't know anything about the '1951" Wheaties series but would like to try to underscore the significance of the dated Type I photo that I posted for Fred in evaluating the date of the photo used for his Wheaties "card".

One of the best forms of documentation for determining the time frame within which a photo was issued includes a vintage, first generation image with a dated byline and photographer's original, period stamping. In this case, 10/6/1952, at Ebbets Field during the WS taken by Yankee photographer Don Wingfield working for The Sporting News at that time.

If you look closely at the other 1952 photo with Reese posted in this thread you will see the same two blemishes - one on Mickey's right cheek, the other slightly below his lower lip on the right side in both photos.

So for what it may be worth, in my opinion, the photo on which the Wheaties "card" is based is absolutely from 1952.

Sorry for the intrusion and good luck with your quest for the final answers on the Wheaties issue.

Cheers,

Craig