View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
PS -- This was an invitation to pick a debate with me about my choice to collect and financially invest in baseball cards.
OK, I'll bite

Or actually I guess I can't argue since I agree with what you said. I have two kids (both too young to collect, maybe someday but I'm not going to push them into it) and a collection that is worth something but I'm not a blue chip guy or anything like that. I collect what I like rather than what I think will be worth something in the future (partly since I'm pessimistic about the market's future if I viewed it solely as an investment I wouldn't buy anything). I definitely don't view my collection as a serious investment for my kids.

I kind of view the money I spend on cards as being flushed down the toilet, and if in the future they have some residual value then great, it'll feel like I found a bunch of money. I'll either give them to my kids (if they want them) or sell them and divvy up the cash.

My concern now actually is that I have this collection which would easily fetch a decent sum if auctioned on ebay, but nobody else in my family knows what its worth and if I die in an accident or something my wife would probably get ripped off (or at least get a horrible deal) in selling them. This reminds me that I should do something about that.....

Last edited by seanofjapan; 02-22-2018 at 08:35 PM.