View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Default Early Press Pin questions

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
First, thank you very much to everyone who has helped me in the past with the questions I have asked. I always appreciate the help.
I recently acquired the "press pin" scanned below as part of a scrapbook of a newspaper editor for the Springfield (MA) Republican at the turn of the century. I purchased the book for its nonsports content, so it was not until I got home that the pin fell out as I began to go through the book. The pin is yellow/gold in color and has the word Reporter in grey/silver on the front. On the back it says Harvard vs Penn in ink, plus there is a metal pin attached at the top. I was hoping some folks on this board might be able to help steer me in the right direction concerning the following:
1. Any way of narrowing down what sport this might be referring to? I am guessing football, but I am not sure.
2. Any way of narrowing down the year? Most of the material in the scrapbook (98%) is from 1895-1900, so that is my best guess but I am not sure.
3. Has anyone seen an earlier "press pin" or similar badge?
I am still perusing the scrapbook, so there is a chance the editor referred to the game in one of the correspondences or articles. There is a chance that the editor went to this game at Penn, as there is correspondence between the subject and a Pennsylvania editor about a trip to the state.
I will post more information as I uncover it, but I figured I would see if anyone has seen one or can help in any way.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
[linked image]
[linked image]