View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Default Fake 52 Mantle- Maybe you can educate me.

There is a 52 Mantle reprint on ebay. Now to the seller's defense, he has listed it as a reprint because he says he doesn't know for sure and didn't want to list it as authentic if it wasn't, so I certainly don't have a problem with him selling it as "AS IS". My problem is that it looks REALLY GOOD, ALMOST EXACTLY like the REAL DEAL!! I spent about an hour really examining it closely and trying to find all of the things that are red flags for a reprint. The back really looked perfect. I finally spotted why I think it isn't real. It is a Type 1 and it doesn't have the missing pixel at the bottom left corner of the black lines that make up the border. Instead, the black line at the bottom goes past the side line which is wrong to an origional. The bad thing is, (whether or not he is being honest in not knowing for sure if it is real or not,) is that the bid on it is up near $175. It is in a screwdown holder in the pic on ebay.

****MY REASON FOR THIS POST is to ask those who are experts on the 52 Mantle is this: Are there other red flags that should alert me right away that this a fake or is it just a really good, and really scary reprint?
Tim