View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 AM

Default Just wondering if anyone here collects Steiner or Upper Deck signed memorabilia?

Now that the series is over and football is in full steam, I've been seeing a lot of both companies marketing their "Memorabilia" for sale. STEEP prices as well.

At Steiner's home page, the very first thing you come to is;

Edgar Renteria Autographed MLB Baseball - $110

And the up to date description...

Edgar Renteria, shortstop for the SF Giants, has been an integral part of the Giants 2010 postseason run, and proved that by winning the 2010 WS MVP award. Edgar Renteria has hand signed this official MLB baseball in blue. A Steiner Sports Certificate of Authenticity is included.

They must have been lighting candles for Renteria to win the MVP (as he did) cause you gotta figure Lincecum is gonna sell no matter what and they were probably sitting on a boat-load of Edgars for a few years now.

Also, a quick search on ebay produced 12,608 hits while searching "Steiner Sports" under "title and descriptions"

The words "Upper Deck UDA" yielded 5,010 hits in "Autographed-Original" of which 465 were for sports cards.

That really seems like a whole lot of stuff in the secondary market and/or Small Ebay Retail Businesses.

I understand that after the Operation Bullpen crap in the 1990's that something had to be done to ensure the collecting public won't continue to flush their money down the toilet.

But it just seems to me that the two companies have inadvertently(?) instilled bloated values into their products.

Once I checked completed auctions... WOW the only UDA stuff selling for $300 or more is JORDAN (now that Tiger took a crap) and even his Airness only sold a handful of items.

Now after checking completed auctions for Steiner going from highest price first... only TWO out of the first 100 pieces sold. An Ali signed piece for $2500 and a Jeter Bat for $1500+

So... what's your take?

Last edited by thekingofclout; 11-02-2010 at 06:51 AM.