View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 05:43 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Good stuff, man! Out of curiosity, what is your one card price limit? I don't think anyone has been more all over the place in collecting than I have! I still have a bunch of 80s stuff from childhood, I LOVE 1950s baseball, I had a brief and pricey prewar phase, and have accumulated a fair amount of 1960s football. Through all of my collecting incarnations, I keep returning to 1950s baseball (also an eye on some 1940s issues). I somehow remained disciplined enough to complete 1953 Topps and 1954 Topps baseball sets. I also have some scattered 50s stars. The books I have been reading are all about the Brooklyn Dodgers, and I am becoming obsessed. Team collecting them will allow me to get decent sized pieces of the many, many sets that I want. I will never have enough time or coin to build 1948-1955 Bowman, 1952 Topps and 1955-1957 Topps, Red Man, Red Heart, etc. Jackie Robinson, Snider, Reese, Hodges, Furillo, Campanella, etc....a guy could do a lot worse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I really don't want to spend more than $1k on any single card - although I have made an exception or two. And more and more, my goal/hope is to keep things even more reasonable. But with pre-war stuff, in particular, I find the wear and tear on cards to be charming (as well as keeping the price down). I think one challenge in collecting post-war cards is that it is easy to get hung up on getting a really sharp card, which can really drive up the price. Collecting pre-war is good for me, as I'm increasingly fine tuning my standards for all cards, and when I find a mid-range post-war card that has great eye appeal at a reasonable cost, it makes for a great score.