View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
As collectors we collect what we cherished as kids , In 5 years or 10 years as older collectors (like me, who lived and breathed baseball) exit the hobby will today's kids look back fondly to days spent at the ballpark ? I don't think so.
My experience is YES, kids will look back fondly at times spent at the ballpark, and/or watching the game on TV. Nothing has really changed in that aspect. If the game itself intrigues them and captures their attention, the memories will be the same as ours. My 17yo son and 14yo stepdaughter not only love going to the games, but avidly watch the games on TV in their entirety. (unlike their Dad, who has an early bedtime sometimes )

I agree with the reality of competition for entertainment which has diluted ALL marketshare of any one particular segment.

The one thing that is noticeably absent is the desire to collect cards. In the digital age, they seem to be a quaint holdover from the past. Whereas in our youth, the vast majority of schoolage kids collected in some manner, now only the more mercenary leaning seem to have an interest. While my son appreciates my cards, he is more interested in my non-card items. His favorite player is Longoria, yet he has no desire to collect a run of his cards. ( He was very interested in a couple of GU bats that I was bidding on )

Edited to add: As far as the old timers, I have difficulty in convincing him of their greatness. I try to explain the deadball, lowering of the mound, expansion, DH influence, etc. After all, numbers don't lie. But PED's do.

Last edited by Deertick; 08-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.