View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You picked the lowest percentage to apply my statement to.
When I made it was thinking of a 20% (which is fairly standard) BP....and at that, an AH can make a living, probably without a seller's fee. But again, if there is a ton of work to do or some other extraordinary thing, then a sales fee can be warranted. I am pretty sure I have actually paid a small one before too, now that i think about it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
As someone who is in the process of becoming an auctioneer, statements like this are so disheartening. If you listened to everybody's advice in this thread you would never deal with a house that charged a seller's commission or over 12.5% buyer's premium. I'd like you to tell me what other business you know of that is expected to survive on a 12.5% margin? I know when I sell as a dealer I certainly couldn't make those margins work. Any full time guys here want to chime in on trying to make a living on a 12.5% GROSS margin? Trust me, one of the reasons I am getting into the auction game is because I think it can be done better, but man I don't know how you expect someone to make a living let alone run a company on the numbers you all appear to be suggesting.

Last edited by Leon; 05-29-2017 at 10:06 AM.