View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You picked the lowest percentage to apply my statement to.
When I made it was thinking of a 20% (which is fairly standard) BP....and at that, an AH can make a living, probably without a seller's fee. But again, if there is a ton of work to do or some other extraordinary thing, then a sales fee can be warranted. I am pretty sure I have actually paid a small one before too, now that i think about it....
It wasn't all about your statement, like I said if you listened to everyone's advice you'd wind up at 12.5%. It seems like the attitude towards auction houses is very adversarial and that is disheartening. I'm not trying to "beat" my consignors or my buyers and it's sad to think that they're trying to "beat" me.

Also I think people lose sight of the value of the item's impact on the equation also. Obviously if we're talking $5,000 items 20% is dandy (though again in the auction world at large 30% is more customary) but on a $100 item 20% is pretty cheap, and on a $50 item 20% just doesn't cut it. Basically the items cost the same to sell for the auctioneer, but the difference between $1,000
and $10 is obviously an issue.

Maybe everyone in this thread travels in a higher rent district then a lot of buyers, but we do auctions where the AVERAGE price is around $40. At 20% there'd be no way to keep the doors open, but there are a LOT of guys with interest in this type of auction as evidenced by our 30+ year history. When we do sell more expensive items we adjust rates accordingly. It is not unusual for us to handle complete sets from the 50's that go for up to several thousand, but until we start selling items that AVERAGE in that range 20% total margin just isn't feasible. We have a number of Net54 members who are buyers, I'd love to hear their input!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 05-29-2017 at 10:16 AM.