View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
As someone who is in the process of becoming an auctioneer, statements like this are so disheartening. If you listened to everybody's advice in this thread you would never deal with a house that charged a seller's commission or over 12.5% buyer's premium. I'd like you to tell me what other business you know of that is expected to survive on a 12.5% margin? I know when I sell as a dealer I certainly couldn't make those margins work. Any full time guys here want to chime in on trying to make a living on a 12.5% GROSS margin? Trust me, one of the reasons I am getting into the auction game is because I think it can be done better, but man I don't know how you expect someone to make a living let alone run a company on the numbers you all appear to be suggesting.
Restaurants are at 3% to 4% I think. The key is volume. If you have the volume you don't need the margin to survive.

You want to start a business and have a long line of people right from the get go. That is not easy to do. That is why people buy businesses and why some are more profitable than others.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 05-30-2017 at 09:41 PM.