View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Default Auctions ending early to the chagrin of bidders

Posted By: T E

I don't end auctions early, as a rule, but it is a rule I am beginning to think may deserve the old heave-ho.

The problem with sniping is that, if you are depending on this "game" to bring in your daily bread, it is becoming harder and harder to know what the hell you are going to be earning this week when all is said and done. All of you snipers out there (almost the entire board, I would think!) might want to consider this: An early bid doesn't mean you have to immediately launch a WW3 bidding war. It simply expresses to the seller that there is a legitimate buyer interested in his or her item.

Personally, I wish ebay could go to a format like the major auction houses employ online, where you have to have a bid in by a certain time, and then the auction doesn't close until there are no bids for, say, 1 minute. Will never happen.

Well, I've probably said too much already. Think I'll go to bed and finish The Thin Man, which I amazingly have never read before. Book is MUCH better than the movie, which is saying something. It is the kind of book that, as the pages left to read become fewer and fewer, brings a sadness to the heart that there is not just one more chapter to go through.