View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 12:21 PM

Default 1968 Topps Johnny Bench Rookie Card

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and although it has been years, I’m not new to the world of sports cards. Mind you, I’ve been away from them for about 25 years.

I own many cards, from Larry Bird’s rookie, to Michael Jordan’s, but there is no player I am a bigger fan of than Johnny Bench, and no card I own that means more to me than his rookie card. I bought it as a kid, making payments on it, until I was able to take it home. My guess is it is a 8 or 9 condition wise, with a slight centering issue as the border is thicker on the Ron Tompkins side, and the lower left corner might have the slightest hint of being fuzzy. That said, I might send it into PSA to have them officially grade it.

That all said, my dream, which might not be realistic is to one day own a Bench rookie, with correct spelling on the back (as mine has) with a PSA grade of 10. Since there are not many of them, and they are priced at a premium, time will tell if I am able to purchase one. If anyone has any tips on when one might come up for sale feel free to let me know.

If not, I am proud to say that I am indeed the proud owner of a Bench rookie card, and in the end, to me, that is what means the most.

Best always,
John