View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Tom

Default 1962 Topps checklist variations

I think I've stumbled across more variations in the 1962 Topps checklists. I've always known that Checklists 1,3,4,5,6 & 7 have two versions, and I have them all in my binder. But I've discovered three more noticeable differences in Checklists 2 & 3. Maybe these are already known & I'm just really late to the party, but just in case:

I've never seen #98 listed with a variation - which would make it the only checklist in the set without one. But after looking closely at mine, plus the pictures on the COMC site, I've discovered there are THREE versions of #98:
Version 1: the black drop shadow at the bottom is much thicker.
Version 2: thinner drop shadow than #1, and the top left border extends over the black drop shadow on the left; also, the bottom right white border is not complete
Version 3: thinner drop shadow than #1 (but identical to #2); the upper left white border does NOT extend over the black drop shadow on the left, and the bottom right white border is complete.

Next, I've discovered a second version of Checklist 3, card #192 - the "no comma" version:
1) the top left white border does not extend over the black border, and the bottom black border appears to be below & behind the white, and
2) the top left white border extends over the black border, and the bottom black border appears to be on top of the bottom white border (or based on your perspective, the bottom right border continues down in from of the black border instead of stopping.

Apologies if this has already been discovered & posted. I'm attaching a link with the side-by-side photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7663122136270/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7663122136270/

Tom

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club. www.oldbaseball.com