View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default 1959 Fleer Ted Williams - options for "finishing" the set

Have been thinking through the options for "finishing" this set now that I'm at about 70/80.

Card #68 "Ted Signs for 1959" is of course the snag for anyone hoping to complete this set on a budget. It seems there are several options for how to handle it.

PAY UP! - Ballpark $500 depending on condition. Very roughly, it seems you can multiply the PSA grade by $100 (up to about PSA 7) to arrive at price.

REAL FAKE #1 - Several hundred of the "original" counterfeits of this card circulated through the hobby in the 1970s. Perhaps because these are considered the next best thing to the real card (or at least the "most vintage"), these will still be $30+. And I suspect the chances are terrific you'd get a FAKE fake most of the time you tried to get this version of the card.

2004 FLEER REISSUE X/406 - Fleer made 406 reprints of the card, individually numbered, in 2004. One just sold on eBay yesterday for $56, which is about 5-10x more than most cards in the original 1959 set will cost you.

OTHER REPRINT/COUNTERFEIT - A variety out there, including some being passed off as real or "selling as a reprint but who knows!" and at a range of prices.

PRINT YOUR OWN TO FILL A BINDER - My current solution. Just a filler for my binder. The good news is it's free. The bad news is it's not a card.

NOTHING - Just be done at 79 cards.

Am curious what other Ted Williams collectors have done, including other options I haven't listed.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/