View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Per Phil Sears:
I have reviewed the image you provided of the "Walt Disney" signature. The signature is not consistent with Walt Disney's autograph for any era. The "BEST WISHES" is an exaggerated jumble; the "W" is incorrectly constructed; the "a" is too large, the "l" is to small, the "t" is improperly drawn; the "is" in "Disney" shows uncharacteristic slowness in addition to being accomplished incorrectly.

This is a "preliminary" opinion because it is based upon a photograph. I only issue certificates of authenticity after inspecting an autograph in person. I do not recommend going to the expense of sending this piece to me for further evaluation. While a piece that looks good in a photo sometimes looks worse in person, the reverse is not true. A signature that is clearly bad in a photograph never looks better upon closer scrutiny.
Lastly, a word about myself. I have specialized in Walt Disney's autograph habits for 20 years. I have served as the Walt Disney autograph consultant for Sotheby's animation auctions in New York and Christie's South Kensington in London. I maintain a good, information-sharing relationship with the Walt Disney Studio Archives, and I am the only autograph dealer specializing in Walt Disney autographed items. My reference files of copies of authentic, forged, and secretarial Disney material is extensive. I have assembled a database tracking the evolution of Walt Disney's autograph virtually year-by-year, from the 1920's to his death in 1966. I am contributor to the Walt Disney Family Museum and I am a longtime member in good standing of the Manuscript Society and U.A.C.C., two groups dedicated to the betterment of the autograph collecting field.
Sincerely,
Phil Sears
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123