Thread: John England
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default John England

John was the first guy in the "organized hobby" I ever dealt with. As a 13 year old in 1963 I came upon some 1939 Play Ball cards from a guy named Bud Ackerman in VA who was also dealing in Japanese cards. He also gave me the first hobby publication I had ever seen. Forget which one. John had an ad in it looking for some 39 Play Balls I just got from Bud..

I had NO idea on the value of the Play Balls. I had a handful he needed and traded them to him for what must have been a very nice haul that he offered me.

The only reason I know this is because my next (attempted) deal in the "organized hobby" was with Chuck Blazina in Pittsburgh. He wanted some of the Play Balls too and sent a list of things he had for trade. He said pick out what you want. I sent him a letter asking for what I thought was fair based on what John gave me. Well, I got a BLISTERING letter from Chuck saying who do I think i am asking for so much for the Play Balls, trying to rob him etc. etc.!!

Met both men later at the early Detroit and Cleveland shows in the early 70's. Had a good laugh with Chuck when I explained the story to him.

Needless to say John was a SUPER nice guy.

oh.......and I had a big CRUSH on his wife Patti.

Fred