Thread: John England
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Ed, welcome to our community. This was a very well thought out and respectful post. I wish I had known Mr. England but he was a bit before I got back into the hobby. We hope you stay and join in sometime. If you love to collect this is a good and friendly place *(usually ). Take care friend!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCardShopKid View Post
Apologies for renewing a string from two weeks ago. I joined this forum (though I'm not qualified!) just to comment here on this topic. I, too, was a kid from Fort Smith and I count my memories of being in Mr. England's Card Shop near the top of all of my memories. He called all the kids "sugar" and treated us the right way. He was a big part of why I love baseball. I'd walk four or five miles (under the guise of going to my Dad's office) just to go there for a couple of hours. I'd get haircuts down the street just so I could go there. I spent all of my allowance there. He somehow got me started on my Hank Aaron card collection, which I still treasure. Sometimes, I'd go in and sit and listen to the Cardinals on the radio with him. I'm sure I faded from his memory over time, but he never did from mine. And when his shop and Vivien's disappeared, it was like part of my childhood went with it. I was actively going there when the news ran about his selling his collection. I remember trying to ask him about it a week later, but this pre-teen kid didn't understand stuff like that. Anyway, what a guy. My brother sent the obituary the other day - see, my brother had a similar experience...most of the kids did. I've been looking for a place to honor Mr. England ever since. Thanks for letting me do so right here.

In the meantime, this is an awesome forum, and I will try to keep up as I have time. I still have boxes of cards...not worth much...but pretty valuable to the kid who spent so much time in the Card Shop. You guys look like you get a ton of enjoyment talking about this stuff. That's what it's all about, right?

Thanks,
Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk