View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
As a former philosophy student, I can tell you that this is really a question for metaphysics class not a baseball card board.

It definitely involves a misalignment of front and back printing-- and if the back and front were aligned there would be no 'miscut.' However, the cutting comes last. Someone might argue that it is miscut, but that, due to the misalignment printing, it was impossible not to miscut the card.

My point of view is that the making of a card or painting or sculpture is a process involving many things-- but if someone wants to argue that the primary error in the making of the cards was misprinting, I see that as a perfectly reasonable argument. When the back is blank or upside down (but otherwise centered), no one calls it a miscut.

The corollary of my original premise leads to a ridiculous conclusion as well. Given a card that is misaligned (or misprinted if you will), and if it is miscut when partial backs of two cards appear, then one could argue that it would not be miscut if the backs were nicely centered and the front images were split.
I would maintain that this would lead to a reductio ad absurdum in most collectors eyes. Therefore if a misprinted card that cannot be cut correctly, a purist would argue that it cannot be miscut either. An aligned card, front and back, though, can be cut either correctly or miscut. Philosophy, logic and a pair of scissors.

QED

If I were unable to speak, it would be difficult for me to misspeak.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 06-02-2015 at 06:50 PM.