View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 10:18 PM
Steve

Default Average grade of rack pack or wax pack pull?

Thanks for your reply. It must be obvious that I'm chasing a pristine Mattingly rookie in the Donruss pack but who knows if it's in there. The only thing showing on it is a Ron Darling rookie that looks pretty mint so I was considering pulling it and grading it at least to try to recoup some of the cost of the pack since I can at least see it on top.

The other pack, the 84 topps, has a mattingly as a rear card. I got the pack for $11, others on eBay with his card showing are going for $40 or so. Again, I sent what I thought was my old near perfect looking 84 Topps Mattingly to PSA and it came back as a 5. I was a little disappointed so I bought this pack hoping to pull a 9 or 10 graded card from it and send it right to PSA.

I'm really not interested in grading a rack pack, as I can get them reasonably priced but no one necessarily showing. I really want the mattingly Donruss card. Thought i would take a chance for fun. If not I'll just buy one in a 9 to add to the collection.

I guess my real question is when people open these old packs, do most of the cards grade as a 9 or 10? Or have the years taken it's toll on most even while inside the packs. Not taking centering into account, are most old pack rips still near mint and worth grading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dictoresno; 04-29-2017 at 10:21 PM.