View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Robinson was also one of the few, and certainly the most well-known, Hollywood star who named names for senator McCarthy. While there may have been some legitimate targets on that list, many an innocent career was ruined. I am not the type to defend anyone in Hollywood, but I did think the McCarthy witch hunt was way over the top.

I do like old movies, but, if one of his is on, I find something better to do with my time.

-Raymond
I don't believe Robinson ever named names. He appeared before HUAC but only to clear his own name by repudiating some groups he once had some sort of association with. He had been threatened with blacklisting and even though he was cleared it was his own career that suffered. He was also a strong advocate of civil rights for blacks before it was fashionable. He is someone, IMO, worthy of admiration.

My father was also investigated by HUAC and though he barely talked about it I eventually got the transcripts through the FOI Act. A lot of it was redacted but what I could read was incredibly petty and silly. I agree with you that the witch-hunt was way over the top.

Edited to add: Being named by HUAC in the early 50s might explain why he went from doing movies like Key Largo in 1948 to playing Hans Lobert in a B movie in 1953.

Last edited by howard38; 01-31-2017 at 09:08 PM.