View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Default Brian Powell's Book - Personal Recommendation

I am sure many of you have seen fellow board member Brian Powell (brian1961) make references to the book he has written on vintage regional and food issue sets. (Never Cheaper By the Dozen) Not long ago one of those mentions piqued my interest and I sent Brian a pm to inquire more about his book. He told me a bit more about it and I decided to give it a read and greatly enjoyed it. Brian was also kind enough to answer a number of follow up questions that I had about the cards, events, and people featured in the book.

As someone that did not grow collecting during the 50s-70s the book contained lots of good information about the individual sets, some of which I knew very little about. What made the book entertaining for me though was the stories of the individual collectors and the lengths they went though to acquire that special card or complete a set. My favorite story involves a young Dodger fan going to great lengths to acquire a Morrell Meats Sandy Koufax.

Full disclosure: After Brian was kind enough to share his knowledge and experience to answer the additional questions I had for him I asked if he would be OK with me posting this endorsement. Brian have me permission to make this post but did not solicit it. Trying to get information about non-mainstream cards can be like pulling teeth so I am happy to try to help out someone that I have found that is graciously willing to share.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.

Last edited by Shoebox; 04-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.