View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
For those arguing Garvey and besmirching Simmons they have nearly the same stats except one of them played catcher and is 9th in fWAR all time as a catcher and the other played 1b and is 61st all time for 1b.

Simmons is one of the ten best catchers of all time and he's not a HOF'er? That seems.... well I'm fairly "small hall" and even I think he's overdue.
It is your opinion that Simmons is a top 10 catcher. I disagree. One of my problems with WAR is that it undervalues defense. It is particularly important for catcher. Simmons was below average defensively. In my opinion, that negates a positional bonus.

Bench
Carter
I Rodriguez
Fisk
Piazza
Berra
Dickey
Cochrane
Hartnett
Campanella

Those guys are all better than Simmons. Josh Gibson is high on that list, but how do you compare him? From not in the HOF, I have Munson, Freehan, probably Posey, maybe Mauer. So, that puts him 16th and as I said, if the Veterans Committee is liberal with their selections, after Garvey, Munson and Freehan are in, I have no problem with Simmons. I just wouldn't put him in ahead of Trammell, Garvey, Murphy, Mattingly or Parker.