View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Kinda hard to ignore Fox "News" when they hold 13 of the top rated 15 (and all of the top 12) cable news shows on TV and is BY FAR the top rated and most trusted source for television news. Funny how the Kool Aid drinkers criticize Fox "News" when they've probably never even spent 2 minutes to watch it. I've never seen another cable news show with a more balanced line up of journalists and contributors. How about Alan Colmes, Bob Beckel, Doug Schoen, Geraldo Rivera, Juan Williams, Mara Liasson (I could go on and on, but those are the more famous ones) who are all liberals and are always invited to give their point of view. Can somebody tell me when was the last time Keith Olberman, Brian Williams or Chris "I felt this tingle going up my leg" Mathews had a conservative on their show to give their point of view? I would to hear the answer, but I doubt the Kool Aid drinkers have anything to say.
I like to flip back and forth from Fox to CNN when a big event is taking place.

When the earthquake hit the east coast a few weeks back CNN seemed to be focusing the nuclear plant that was relatively close to the epicenter. While I thought it was a relevant angle, they seemed a bit too hungry for a bigger disaster to cover. The anchors on Fox kept saying how everyone initially thought it was a terrorist attack as we approached the anniversary of 9/11. I get this reaction, but after a while you got the feeling that they just like saying "terrorist attack". Fear sells.

When Bin Laden got taken out CNN seemed to be struggling for details, as did Fox. They both needed to report what they new but minimize the speculation. The big difference was how many references to W I heard on Fox, and discussing who really deserved the credit for the kill. To me that is an appropriate 2nd or 3rd day follow up, but not important when the news is still breaking.

Bottom line for me is that I think both CNN and Fox are fairly lame, and have walked away from being news organizations and have too much embraced being entertainment. But we only have ourselves to blame for that, as those networks react to what people watch and what drives profits.

my eBay auctions