View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

To me even good High school runners are very fast. Or NFL linemen for that matter....

Dad ran track in HS and college, and was pretty good for the 1950's
I did cross country. Although my times were in the "hurry up Birmingham we're already on the bus" range. (20:09 for 2.4 miles)

One of our guys was pretty fast, made the state meet every year. He was nice and at times pretty funny. He did something crazy like 5 miles before school and was under 5 minutes for a mile (Literally on the bus when I finished!)
We had a basket ball game with the big rival school, our team won and as many did in the late 70's the kids from the losing school wanted a fight.
What he told me the following Monday at practice was a riot. (I wasn't at the game) Some singled him out and wanted to fight, being a track guy he ran. He just didn't run all that fast.. And since the kid was chasing for some distance he'd slow down and taunt him. The pick up the pace. Apparently he ran the kid for close to three miles until he collapsed. That's when he walked over and calmly said "ok I'll fight you now" Dragged him out of the middle of the street and left.
Don't mess with the distance runners....