View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Matt

I can't see anyone in their right mind ripping open those boxes at what they are costing these days. Is it possible some guys with money to burn just want to have some fun? Sure-- but I think that is the exception and not the rule. I have found that unopened collectors who pay these prices like to keep them unopened. I think they are cool, fun pieces.

The usual argument for their appreciation, namely being that supply is ever rapidly dwindling because people are ripping them like mad, strikes me as specious-- given what they cost, and how opening them essentially is a complete money loss. The contents are almost always OC or stained or have dinged corners. Then factor in how only an Ozzie 9+ or Rickey 10 or maybe alternatively a slew of high-grade HOFers is a jackpot, and you wind up needed the first layer of luck just to get a card(s) that is worthy of that grade, then you need a second layer of luck for PSA to slap that 9 or 10 on it. Which costs grading fees, too.

End of the day, I think prices all depend on who wants a piece, how badly/how much they love it, and what their budget is. So while I might not want a 1979 or 1980 box at all, and to me they're not worth much, another guy might pay a ton and thus that's what it was worth in that snapshot of time.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-25-2014 at 05:08 AM.