View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 12:17 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not to suggest that there aren't some all-time great quarterbacks today, but the recent passing and receiving records are a product of the rules.

Any list that doesn't include Johnny Unitas, says the list maker goes by today's open-the-floodgate stats. A generation ago, when passing for 300 yards in a game was a huge day and 3000 in a season got you to the Pro Bowl, Johnny Unitas was universally ranked as the all time best. He was the Jim Brown no-brainer as best quarterback. Perhaps a quarterback, two or three have deservedly passed him since then (I've for years have considered "newbie" Peyton Manning one of the all-time best), but when Unitas' name doesn't even appear in a sea of Drew Breeses and Aaron Rogereres, I assume the list maker is a youngster wearing ESPN blinkers. It's also common, and a standard cognitive bias on the list of human cognitive biases, for all-time lists on any subject to be over populated with recent things. The list is made by a person or organization that views history and its details from its time, place and familiarity.

I have always argued that Brett Favre was the most valuable of his era because he played every game. Second, third or 5th best best is automatically more valuable in the game than number on the bench. Someone can perhaps rightfully argue that So-and-so was superior to Favre "when they were playing," but the "when they were playing" is a big disclaimer. Coupled with his on the field abilities (which people can argue over whether it was first, third or fifth), that Favre played every single game made him the most valuable. When the rubber hits the road, as they say.

Last edited by drcy; 03-08-2016 at 01:19 PM.