View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default 400 mile road trip for two card shows (report)

Finally had a chance to take my new Honda Civic on a road trip (45.5 MPG average) today! First scheduled card show is a quarterly show at "The Villages" in Central Florida and show number two a monthly show at the "Big Top" flea market closer to Tampa.
"The Villages" is a retirement community, and these separate housing developments or "Villages" share community pools, golf courses and community centers. Common transport is via golf carts, and I see several groups of geezers (like me) involved in softball games and other outdoor activities. In other words this place is AWESOME! Residents have a baseball card collecting club, and host a show four times a year.
I spent $170 at "The Villages" including these pick-ups

Does anyone have any more information on this cardboard sign I picked up for $20 appears to be legit and vintage:

close up on the trademark

I purchased a nice stack of low grade wrappers Including ten 1976-77 "tall boy" basketball, '70s football, and '70s non sports looks like 38 wrappers all one dollar or less each

I need about ten card to complete the 1955 Topps Rails and Sails set, and I found three beautiful hits these were $3 or $4 each. Also two $1 cards, a 1963 Hi Number and a "3D" football card lol!

Then 26 different 1975 Hostess cards that I needed Gibson, B Robinson, Yaz, Carew are here but I can't remember exactly what I paid

Final purchases at "The Villages" what I think are some Yankee Jay Publishing "Picture Pack" singles (that appeared to have been taped to some lucky kids bedroom wall) Mantle was $5 Maris was $3 the others were less

$170 total spent and really had a good time here did I mention "The Villages" is an awesome community? With my luck I would purchase a home next door to some grumpy old dude so I'll probably hang out here in the woods of NE Florida on these two acres.

Now off to the "Big Top" Flea Market I think was another 30 miles or so down the road total spent here was $239

A needed 1962 Stat Back exhibit Whitey Ford and '47-'66 Frankie (?) Robinson $5 then a needed '61 Post (company style) and a '63 Jello to add to my binder

Dealer had a few binder pages full of '75 '76 '77 Hostess and Twinkie baseball cards and rather than mess around I just asked him how much for all of them. 130 cards with three Aarons Rose Carlton Carew for $50 so less than 40c each many needed for my sets others headed to the duplicate box

I told the "non-sports" guy I was trying to complete nine 1962 Topps Civil War News sets and I would buy any cards he would sell me for $2 each and he sold me all he had some were priced $6 or $7 each. Then I bought two needed "War News" cards, a "Spook Stories" card for a set I just started, then for $4 picked up another 1910 T218 "Champion Athletes" Edward Weston who is the greatest pedestrian (walker lol) who ever lived. Then the dealer gave me what he claims is an original viewer for the 1952 Topps "Look N See" set

Then I spent $150 for 25 low grade 1933 and 1934 Goudey baseball cards including four 1934s from the high numbers ($250 in NM??) I think I need 3 or 4 of them. The others will be upgrades then into the duplicate box to either trade off or maybe sell to some of my OBC buddies. 25 cards for $150 that's $6 each

Finished my day with a greasy burger fries and a butterfinger shake (medium sized). A pretty good day!

Larry