View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Default How does one get their sons into collectiing?

Posted By: Murr the Blurr

LIke Dan B., I started an annual ritual of buying factory hockey sets for my son when after he was born in 1983. Today he is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds –– and a big-time collector. Like a lot of Canadian kids, he started playing organized hockey at four, and from 12 to 17, his playing and collecting really went into high gear: more than 100 games a season and lots of travelling to out-of-town tournaments. Those trips were great, because we always made sure to make the rounds of all the local card shops. While he still gets his hockey fix by playing three times a week and revisiting the old man's vintage collection, his main focus for the past several years has been non-sports cards and vintage Star Wars stuff. He haunts the flea markets, antique shows, etc. – and almost always manages to find stuff for his own collections or for mine (hockey and boxing). I truly believe the combination of being exposed to my collection and playing and loving the game from such an early age helped shaped the kind of collector he is today.