View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
J僃 ß@rl0w

From previous conversations, I know your dream is to sing the anthem at a Cubs game. You should submit an mp3 along with the story and link to this clip of you singing the anthem in Cubs garb with the Cardinals and a few hundred fans in the background.

Any person(s) wanting to perform the National Anthem prior to a Cubs game must submit an MP3, CD, or DVD of the musician(s) performing an "a cappella" version of the National Anthem. Submissions are accepted from February 1 to March 1 for the upcoming season. Only submissions received during that time frame will be considered. Mail your MP3/CD/DVD to: National Anthem, Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field, 1060 W. Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
I want to add a few funny details about when I sang the anthem too...

It was the first home game for the Cardinals (Roger Dean Stadium), and was against the Mets. Among the people there was Mets fan Jerry Seinfeld, which is kind of funny because of something else in the story. Anyways, if you've seen what I look for on the board, I love baseball, and have been a Cubs fan since birth. I, of course, wore a Cubs shirt and was planning on getting booed. Before going out onto the field, the coordinator (who I am now good friends with) told me I had to take it off. For the sake of length, I'll just say I said "No." They offered me a free Marlins jersey (yea...right...), and I again explained "Not a chance...", giving a spiel about it being baseball, and the USA, and that the last time I checked, animosity towards another team didn't exactly decrease attendance. They called the GM of the Cardinals, and he said I definitely had to take it off because of TV contracts. They then had the GM of the minor league affiliate of the Cardinals come down and tell me to take it off, or they wouldn't let me sing. So, at this point - there are 5 or 6 different individuals looking at me with their spiffy walkie-talkies telling me I need to take it off, and then looking dumbfounded when I calmly said "Um, yea, I'm not going to take it off." Then the Manager of Roger Dean tried to get me to take it off. They then claimed they would have to pull me from singing and play the recording. I said "If you really want to play a silly recording of the anthem, and have your crowd be disappointed, by all means - go right ahead. I really am not going to take it off, I'm sorry, I'm just not."
Anyone know that Seinfeld episode where Elaine refuses to take off the Baltimore cap?

Anyways, it's palpable that they let me sing, with the Cubs garb fully visible. The thing is, is that about 2 weeks later, I went there to sing another one, and was wearing a Cubs jersey - and was told by the intern that it pissed off LaRussa something awful when I sang the anthem with a Cubs shirt on. Apparently, he called in right after the game, as did the GM and told them that they would be fired if it happened again.

Stupid Cardinals! Ha!