View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Noel

Default Giuseppe Meazza Science Project

For a country that prides itself on its defensive prowess it is probably a little unsettling that a center-forward / attacking mid-fielder is arguably the greatest Italian footballer of all-time (all due respect to Maldini, Baggio, et al). 2x World Cup Championships and 1x Golden Ball (1934) and his numerous off field exploits make a legend in a country filled with legendary talent. At any rate he is one of my favorite players and although it makes for some lively debate, i certainly digress.

Probably a long shot but I am hopeful that someone on here can shed some light on a card that I own of Mr. Meazza very early in his career. Playing for Inter most of his career he is easily spotted in the legend Blue and Black. Now the kit that Inter wears really needs no introduction except for a little hiccup which i will attempt to address. As a little background, Meazza was signed by Inter in September of 1927 however, the fascist regime at the time decided to name the club Società Sportiva Ambrosiana (after Saint Ambrose) a year later in 1928. This name stood until 1931 when the name was changed again to "Associazione Sportiva Ambrosiana-Inter" to accommodate loyal supporters. During this 3-4 year span they adopted the red cross emblematic with St. Ambrose which from what i can tell still seemed to be worn sparingly. I have several cards and pictures (some of which i will post here) during this time which display the typical Inter colors. While one isolated card exists of a very, very young Meazza wearing what appears to be black shorts with a white shirt complete with a thick black (I think) stripe across the middle.

The science project I have been tracking down is for the black and white Meazza soccer card where he is kicking the ball (I have attached other Ambrosiana photos for reference):

1) Can anyone identify this kit that he is wearing?
2) What year(s) did Inter wear this (notice the card says "Int" after Meazza's name on top)
3) Was this a practice uniform or perhaps a second division team he may have played for before signing with Inter? (I havent seen any evidence of this)
4) Something else that i am not thinking of?

Any information no matter how small would be really appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Ambrosiana Uniform Meazza.jpg (17.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Maglia-Calcio-Ambrosiana-Inter-1928-Shirt-Football-Jersey.jpg (73.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Italo-Swiss Meazza.jpg (26.3 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by esehombre; 01-07-2019 at 05:37 PM.