View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Thanks, Don. It may be a 1950. I pulled the image from eBay and the seller's description said 1960, but they may have mistyped. I'm not familiar with paper currency.

Either way, it was a rhetorical question. I knew the answer. I wanted to see who else knew and wanted to spark a conversation. Your answer is correct. It was one of the steps to a fiat currency system.

However, that's not what our forefathers intended. In fact, they were very much opposed to paper currency. Shortly before Washington's second inauguration, Congress passed the Coinage Act of 1792. They intended for our currency to be in the form of coins which were made of 90% gold and silver. The value of the coins were based on a fixed price of gold and silver. There was no fiat currency.

This worked great until the Civil War when Lincoln started issuing promissory notes to pay the union soldiers. That's was the start of the fiat currency system that we have today. However, our currency was still tied to gold and silver reserves for many years later.

So what changed to bring us into today's fiat currency system? What is our money backed by today? Why aren't coins still made of real silver and gold anymore? Who is going to pay our 23 Trillion dollar debt? Can our government just keep printing money over and over and over again and expect everything to be ok? Something has to give, right?

Whether it's a 1950 or 1960 note, y'all really need to take another look at the wording on that $20 bill and open your eyes to what it happening in the US with our fiat currency system. If you still don't know, just ask someone from Venezuela what happens when the paper currency becomes worthless.

Glad to say that my wealth lies outside of the banking system.

You should read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" if you haven't already.