View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 12:47 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Here is what I found:

"This expansion process was painful for the Nashville Predators," Poile said. "We knew it. There was no way of getting out of it. The strength of our team is at defense, so we protected four defensemen. We were only able to protect four forwards, so it didn't line up correctly for us. I tried like a lot of people did, some of them a lot more successful than I was, to make a deal with [Golden Knights GM] George [McPhee]. The price was just too high in my estimation. Whatever assets I didn't give George to retain James or any other player, I still have those assets."

So it looks like if the Preds wanted to keep Neal, then they would have had to give away some of their future picks to Vegas, and they obviously didn't want to do that. Neal is also going to be 30 soon, and a lot of forwards start declining in their early 30s, so I'm pretty sure that was one of the reasons why Nashville didn't want to give away too many picks for him.

It wouldn't have made much of a difference. Pekka Rinne was letting in so many goals and this just hurt the team a lot.
Makes sense.

Yeah, Rinne definitely didn't play well at all, especially in Pitts, which he couldn't get out of his head.
It's too bad as I really thought they were going to go all the way.

Hopefully the Preds can recover and make it again next year as they were exciting to watch, for the most part, until the final.