View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Donny Muth

Default How to start a child on card collecting

For Christmas, we got my son a small baseball card album. You know, one of the ones with the 4 pocket pages that holds 40 cards total. What I want to do is start him a small collection anticipating the day when he may want to join me in the hobby. He'd be free to trade, sell, or just keep any cards in this start-up album.

He turns 5 in March, so is probably a bit young for collecting still. He sees mine and has asked for cards to "play with" on occassion. I have indulged him by giving him a few 1980's commons in a small plastic card box or semi-rigid holders. Usually, he 1) loses interest in them within a few hours and 2) has turned those near mint specimens into low grade fillers.

I'm looking towards the future when he is old enough to collect, appreciate, and handle the cards properly though...assuming he develops any real interest in cards of course.

So that brings up questions for the group:
- Has anyone on the board got a child into card collecting? How?
- What age did you and your child start collecting?
- Should I start him a mini-collection to be ready for the day he wants to get into it more? If so, what cards should I start gathering for his starter collection?

I was thinking of primarily 50's and 60's low/mid condition stars. I will probably also throw in a few common player pre-war cards to give him a flavor of that era too - a T206, a '33 Goudey, a Playball, a Double Play, a Diamond Stars card, a Zeenut or Obak, etc. I would prefer his start-up collection to be all raw cards and lower condition so he learns from an early age that it's about the players, the game, and the cards. Not about a holder or only high grade specimens.

Any other advice on getting a child interested in card collecting and teaching him the ropes? Should I wait until he shows real interest or should I start preparing now?

Thanks!

Donny Muth